Although physical health is an important asset, the reasons we engage in exercise can still become unhealthy. Being mindful about your motivation for hitting the gym or engaging in any physical activity is helpful if you are looking for spiritual growth and self-knowledge. Be on the lookout for these unhealthy motivations to exercise:
· The need to be thin to feel good every day.
· Pressure to look good and lean to attract a new partner or to please an existing one.
· Feelings of insecurity about a specific body part.
· Fear of not being loved by others if you are out of shape.
· Guilt for not exercising every day or more often.
· To release stress caused by a changeable situation.
· To release anger.
· To show off, get attention, compete, or provoke envy in others.
· To fight or to intimidate others.
· Out of pure habit and without enjoyment.
· Pressure to be a role model in your family, work, town, or society.
These are just some examples. Keep in mind that behind all these reasons to work out, there is fear, and it is fear that makes them unhealthy.
To be healthy is to be loving.